- Partial and Total Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement
PROCEDURES PERFORMED PER YEAR:
- More than 850 knee replacement surgical procedures
- More than 350 hip replacement surgical procedures and revisions
The Joint Replacement Unit is composed of a team of highly specialised surgeons, who focus on knee and hip replacement and have extensive experience in this field. The Unit’s philosophy and techniques revolve around tissue preservation and fast-track recovery for its patients, providing them with a personalised pre-and post-operative pathway, while the most updated methods and technological equipment is used in the operation room.
The main interest is represented by hip and knee arthritis and in prosthetic treatment, which the Head Physician and team has been working on for years, having helped develop new prosthetic designs.
The centre has performed more than 15,000 hip and knee prosthetic surgeries, including minimally invasive knee prosthetic surgeries with medial and lateral monocompartmental prostheses and minimally invasive knee prosthetic surgeries with unicompartmental prostheses and LCA reconstruction.
The Unit is also highly specialised in hip replacement and revision surgery. The implant of the hip prosthesis is performed with minimally invasive technique, which protects the periarticular soft tissues, reconstructs the joint capsule and reduces the skin incision to 7-8 cm. The used prostheses are very reliable presenting among the best results.
The main field of interest of the Joint Replacement Department is represented by knee replacement procedures. The Unit performs all kind of knee prostheses and has a particular interest in mini-invasive surgery and tissue sparing surgery.
The Unit performs partial knee replacement with small implants, both isolated, and combined. Even total knee replacement is performed with modern prostheses with a tissue sparing philosophy. The unicompartmental knee prosthesis is a therapeutic option, if osteoarthritis is limited to only one part of the knee. In the unicompartmental knee prosthesis, only the damaged compartment is replaced. The cartilage and healthy bone of the remaining part of the knee are not affected.
The Unit’s team pay particular attention to fast recovery after knee replacement; they’ve developed a fast-track protocol with dedicated local anaesthesia, early rehabilitation, return to walk the same day of surgery and discharge from hospital the day after the surgery.
Revision of knee arthroplasties is another central area of the department. The team is able to perform each kind of revision with the newest tools available on the market.
Main Pathologies Treated:
- Knee osteonecrosis
- Knee Arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Partial Knee Replacement with small implants
- Medial unicompartimental knee replacement
- Lateral unicompartimental knee replacement
- Patellofemoral replacement
- Combined Knee Replacement
- Bi-unicompartimental knee replacement
- Unicompartmental + patellofemoral replacement
- Unicompartimental replacement + anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Total Knee Replacement
- Posterior cruciate ligament retaining
- Mini-invasive approach
- Knee Arthroplasty and revision
- stems, cones, wedges, revision prostheses
The activity of the Unit is dedicated to cases of hip replacement in osteoarthritic, osteonecrotic, dysplastic and post-traumatic cases, as well as to the re-implantations of mobilized arthroplasty. For the more complex cases, a CT scan is performed that allows three-dimensional reconstruction of the hip, in order to perform a pre-operative computerized simulation of the operation: this allows to optimize both the surgical technique and the choice of the prosthesis. The minimally invasive approach and the tissue sparing philosophy are utilized also for hip replacement. The Unit performs both a posterolateral mini-invasive approach and an anterior mini-invasive approach. Muscle preservation leads to faster recovery, less blood loss, better proprioception after surgery. Revision of hip replacement is another main issue. The Unit is able to perform each kind of revision with the newest tools available on the market.
Main Pathologies Treated:
- Hip osteoarthritis
- Hip osteonecrosis
- Hip revision of previous surgery
- Minimally Invasive Technique to Hip Replacement
- Posterolateral approach
- Anterior approach
- Revision of Hip Replacement
NOTABLE ADVANCED TECHNOLOGICAL EQUIPMENT
- Advanced system for surgery (minimally invasive and tissue sparing surgery)
Featured Physicians- Marullo Matteo
EXPLORE OTHER MEDICAL SPECIALTIES OF Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Unit
- Hand Surgery
- Hand Surgery and Recostructive Microsurgery
- Hip Surgery
- Knee Surgery
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oncologic Orthopaedic and Spine Surgery Centre
- Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Regenerative Medicine
- Shoulder Surgery Unit
- SPINAL SURGERY
- Sports Traumatology