- Spine Primary Tumours
- Spine Metastasis
- Bone Primary Tumours
- Bone Metastasis
- Soft Tissue Tumours
- Psychotherapy for tumour patients
- 3D printed titanium prosthetic
- Bone and soft tissue biopsy
PROCEDURES PERFORMED PER YEAR:
- 25 Enblock vertebrecomy (uni- or multi-level)
- 150 Pathological spine and bone fractures
- 50 Resections and reconstructions of primary bone tumours
The oncologic orthopaedic and spine surgery centre of the Galeazzi Research Hospital is one of the centres of excellence in the national and international scene for the treatment of spine primary tumours and spine metastasis. In the centre, patients with musculoskeletal system tumours, both bone and soft parts, are treated. In most cases these are primitive tumours of adulthood and of the paediatric age and, historically, the prevailing specialization is for tumours of the spine.
The centre is also known for 3D printed titanium prosthesis for pelvis and other bones reconstructions, based on the patient CT.
Spine tumour and metastasis
Surgical activity aimed at treatments of oncologic pathologies of the spine includes En-block vertebrectomy (uni- or multi-level). The centre is one of the most performing on Multilevel En-block vertebrectomy both in terms of numbers of and experience, at a global level.
To this is added, and not less important, the surgical activity aimed at the diagnosis of oncological diseases: bone and soft tissues biopsies and open-ended or with a needle, as well as under CT guidance but mainly for minor pathologies such as osteoid osteoma, which is treated by radiofrequency under CT guidance, benign tumours of the hand and foot, infantile pseudotumour lesions, or traumas.
Main Pathologies Treated:
- bone sarcomas (osteosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma, bone fibrosarcoma, malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the bone, chondrosarcoma), primitive or relapses of the whole vertebral column and paravertebral, of the pelvis and of the bones of the upper and lower limbs;
- softtissue sarcomas (liposarcoma, fibrosarcoma, malignant fibrous histiocytoma, angiosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, post-radiation sarcoma) primitive or recurrent of the neck, scapulo-humeral cingulum, thoracic wall, pelvis and limbs;
- chordomas and teratomas of the primitive spine or dorsal and lumbar receptors with endothoracic and retroperitoneal development, of the sacrum and sacrumcoccyx;
- giant cell tumours of the skeleton and tendons and tendon sheaths;
- osteochondromas (exostoses) and lipomas, also placed in complex or conspicuous volumes;
- bone metastases secondary to carcinomas.
Pathological Spine and bone fractures
The surgical activity also includes the treatment of patients with degenerative pathology of the spine, including the primary and secondary arthritis of scoliosis, to rheumatoid arthritis, the post-surgical pathology, the whole degenerative pathology of the hip and the knee.
Resections and reconstructions of primary bone tumours
The oncological pathology of the spine leads to complex reconstructive problems: in fact, the reconstruction of entire segments of the column after the removal of 2 or 3 vertebral bodies (up to a maximum of 5 in our series) requires the use of very challenging surgical techniques for those who work and for the patient.
Other complexities are addressed for tumour diseases of the pelvis and of the "long bones" of the limbs: modular prostheses, homoplastic bone grafts, grafts of vascularized fibula with the involvement of other surgical disciplines such as plastic surgery, thoracic and general surgery, vascular surgery, microsurgery.
Main Pathologies Treated:
NOTABLE ADVANCED TECHNOLOGICAL EQUIPMENT
- 1 CT Scanner
- 3 MRI machines
- 1 Spinal angiograph
EXPLORE OTHER MEDICAL SPECIALTIES OF Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Unit
- Hand Surgery and Recostructive Microsurgery
- Hip Surgery
- Joint Replacement
- Knee Surgery
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Regenerative Medicine
- Shoulder Surgery Unit
- SPINAL SURGERY
- Sports Traumatology